My suggestion to high priced Festool Sysports.
This is my first try at posting something in to the FOG. So here goes. As many of you have said “at some point in time you need to be able to store your Systaines more efficiently”.
I built this shelf before I discovered the FOG. So now having seen so many suggestions and ideas here I will build the next one differently. Having scanned the entries for Sysports, I couldn't find one quite as low tec and low cost as mine so decided to post it here for other Foggers. I really appreciate the FREE sharing of information on this site.
The idea came out of necessity and availability. I had limited space and finances. So decided to use the whole ceiling height. I had found some long pieces of MDF with strips of wood glued to them thrown out on the street from a shop refitting early in the year and decided they would be a good frame for my Precious Systainers. I don't need a movable one yet. I have a cart for onsite work.
I was thinking about the pull out runners and the cost of buying 11 pairs and thought I could find a cheaper way. The pieces of glued on wood gave me the idea for side rails to hold the boxes in place.
To get hold of the systainer to lift it down I need to get a hand either underneath it or grab it by both sides before reaching the handle. As I had a bit of width where I wanted to put the shelf, I went with the grab the sides method, this also gave me more height/shelf space. I found it was important to make the gap big enough get my hand in and grip the first indent.
Having decided on this method I then needed some where to put the Systainer after I have lifted it down, to open it and access the contents.
So I bought 1 pair of 30cm full pull out runners, cost me about 8 euros incl. postage on ebay. The sides and back are made of some ply that I had left over from a job.
Looking at the shape of the systainer I decided that the wooden guides would probably catch on the indents on the sides at the bottom. The lid fortunately has smooth sides from front to back. So the guides were put in at the top which made drilling, screwing and fixing the shelves really easy.
I decided the little feet on the bottom of the systaine might catch on the front edge when pushing them in, so I routered a large 45 deg, angle to help ease them over this edge.
The rails and cart are just hung on screws on the side which keeps them safely out the way.
I am so far very happy with the set up, sometimes I need more than one systainer open but then I put it on the bench or floor. The larger Systainers with the saw and tool insert are better accessed on the floor anyway. This method also helps me to pack up the systainers and put them away before I get the next one out.
The balance of time spent building such a Sysport against the time spent earning money to buy one is a tricky calculation, but for me making things has always been about the importance to recycle old materials rather than keep producing more and more new stuff and wondering where to put all. Just trying to reduce my personal Carbon footprint a bit.