For those who aren't sure what an avatar is, it's the photo or graphic you see displayed under a member's name. For example, my avatar shows a photo of me with my Standard Poodle wearing safety goggles. With the forum software, you can easily upload a photo you like, which can be used to identify you to the rest of the community.
Here are the steps for uploading your avatar:
1. From the forum's Main Menu, click on "Profile."
2. Click on Forum Profile Information. This brings up a screen with three choices for selecting an avatar:
- Choice 1: Use one of SMF's built-in avatars. Go to the "Personalized Picture:" section. Click on a category. Scroll through the list of text descriptions. Clicking on the text brings up a preview of the avatar photo.
- Choice 2: Select a photo located at a Web address. In the "I have my own pic:" section, enter the full Web address of the photo you wish to use.
- Choice 3: Upload your own photo. If you have a photo you would like to use as your avatar, go to the "I will upload my own picture:" section. Use the "Browse" button to locate the photo on your local hard drive. A preview of the photo should appear on the screen.
3. After you have made your avatar choice, you may also enter text you want in the "Personal Text:" section. This is optional. The text you type here will appear below your avatar.
4. Once you are happy with your avatar choice and the text, click the "Change Profile" button on the bottom of the screen to save the settings. Your avatar will now appear below your name on all your posts.
MatthewNote: on February 22, 2007, I increased the allowable size of avatars. For those of you who uploaded your avatar before February 22, you need to re-upload it if you want to take advantage of the larger sizes.