The poll function has existed and does exist. It was disabled quite a while back due to several reasons:
1. It was a favorite of spammers
2. Members did not understand and use its function effectively,
3. Members did not make the polls neutral - i.e. asking a question and giving choices rather than interjecting opinions into the questions and choices,
4. There almost always was a discussion thread afterwards that really took the place of the poll or else made it redundant
5. There was no way of monitoring who was voting in the polls. I.e. if it was a North America only issue voting couldn't be limited to just those members in North America.
I suspect that in regards to the imperial scale topic in North America Festool has gotten the feelings of members posting here loud and clear. Whereas in order for tools with imperial scales to start being available July 5, those tools are already in the warehouse in Lebanon and possibly on their way to North American dealers.