This week, I successfully burned a pressed log that I made solely out of dust and chips collected in the woodworking shed. For a long time, I have been crerating more dust and chips than I can easily dispose of. The city doesn’t want them either in garbage or in garden recycling material. I tried then as mulch, but the material tends to clump up and, so, later it becomes hard to work into the soil. It is possible to incorporate a bit of the dust and chips into my own compost bin where it is well mixed with other material. It is also possible to burn by throwing handfuls onto a fire in the stove my workshed, but that is messy. As a result of all this, I have now accumulated 5 very large paper bags of dust and chips. Here is a photo of two of the bags:
What to do? The clumping in the garden gave me an idea. I drilled some holes in a large can, made a removable wooden top, wet some dust and chips, pressed them into the can, then let the mixture dry for a couple of days. I thought that the clump would simply drop out of the inverted can, but that didn’t work. I had to take off the bottom and cut the can down the side in order to remove the log”.
After drying the log for another five days, I put some kindling under it in the stove, lit the kindling, and obtained a good fire. Here is one photo taken about five minutes after lighting the fire and another taken twenty minutes later:
By the way, the dried log held together fairly well before I burned it, but it certainly would have come apart if not handled gently.