Author Topic: What is this molding and what router bit would reproduce it please?  (Read 2503 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Deke

  • Posts: 240
I want to reproduce this molding profile/cut (see pic), but for the life of me after searching Whiteside site and looking at every darn bit (classic and every combination of ogee, fillet, bead, round over, cove) I can't seem to find what this is, let alone what it is called. They have plenty of cheap trim at the big box with the same cut, but I want to put this on my own wood.

Festool USA does not pre-approve the contents of this website nor endorse the application or use of any Festool product in any way other than in the manner described in the Festool Instruction Manual. To reduce the risk of serious injury and/or damage to your Festool product, always read, understand and follow all warnings and instructions in your Festool product's Instruction Manual. Although Festool strives for accuracy in the website material, the website may contain inaccuracies. Festool makes no representations about the accuracy, reliability, completeness or timeliness of the material on this website or about the results to be obtained from using the website. Festool and its affiliates cannot be responsible for improper postings or your reliance on the website's material. Your use of any material contained on this website is entirely at your own risk. The content contained on this site is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute professional advice.

Offline SRSemenza

  • Global Moderator
  • *
  • Posts: 8771
  • Finger Lakes Region, NY State , USA
Also try CMT, Freud, and others.



  • Festool Dealer
  • *
  • Posts: 505
Take a look at small raised panel bits...

The Freud 99-061 might do the trick.  If you run your stock on the side instead of vertically it seems like a close match visually.


Offline Rollin22Petes

  • Posts: 184
Take a look at the freud #99-484

Offline Rob-GB

  • Posts: 1085
Roman Ogee is what it looks like example
Different makes do alternative sizes. Some cabinet door moulding cutters use a similar design too.
Hope that helps you out.

Offline Christopher Fitch

  • Posts: 75
My advice
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 12:19 PM »
you can try some of the sites listed - some manufacturers provide profiles of their bits.

Fox example, CMT has their list of bits:

Router bits - CMT Woodworking Tools

If you click on one of the bits, you get a picture of the profile - example for Roman Ogee:
Industrial router bits-Roman ogee router bits-CMT tools

Good luck

Offline Deke

  • Posts: 240
Thanks everybody, that Freud #99-484 looks close enough to me! I'm seeing the same cut on our door and window trim as well (house built in 1890), so the bit could be useful for more than the one project. I do have a few ogee bits, but they are more "circular" in the radius. I was joking with my wife that if I had a $2000 set of hand molding planes I could recreate any profile, though with hours and hours of work!

P.S. I need to look at Freud more for router bits. I have almost all Whiteside and they are great, but I have had great experiences with Freud blades on my table saw.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 12:47 PM by Deke »

Offline Gregor

  • Posts: 1238
Festool #490127 could be something close to this:

Offline Mario Turcot

  • Posts: 828
The closest I could find

Beading router bit

IMO your's looks like a custom elongated beading profile.


Offline android

  • Posts: 35
Take a look at the freud #99-484

Yes, I have that bit to make some cherry baseboard to match my existing "colonial" baseboard from Homer's Depot.

You just have to tweak the height to get the top edge the correct thickness.