We had a beautiful weekend at the shore, and as is my habit I ran my errands before the hoards descended upon us and never left the house after Thursday. Time to work on the MFT/Sys Cart!
Photos show it best, here’s the assembled cart waiting for drawers:
Started with disassembling the frame, leaving the casters loosely attached and making the side panels:
Testing the fit between the side/rear panels & the shelf/dividers. The shelf rests on the dividers and is screwed to them from the top also:
Final dry fit & installing the shelf, I thought this would be a 3-handed operation since all 4 corners have to slip in from above (due to the end fastener hardware) but it went surprisingly smooth:
Assembled the top rails and repeated the maneuver:
Then flip it on end and start tightening the fasteners from the bottom up:
Houston, we have a cart…:
Secured the partitions to the shelf with a couple SPAX screws:
Day 2 started by designing the tabbed brackets to support the top, and milling them on my little Handibot CNC:
At this point I was struck by a nap-eleptic seizure (which is why I am updating this at 3 AM); spent the rest of the afternoon in my recliner…
Anyway, the weekend’s results were good. Amazingly (to me) it looks suspiciously like the original design:
The top got a light coat of OSMO, probably should have coated the other surfaces before assembly but I got too excited so I’ll have to come back and do it the hard way later. I also neglected to route some clamp access openings in the 2nd and 3rd horizontal t-slots so for now I cannot use them for clamping. Hope to attack this in the future, again doing it the hard way.
With completion so close at hand it should prompt me to finish up the Systainer trays and some drawers, so I can finally stop moving stuff out of the way every time I need to work on something.
Hope all my US brethren enjoyed the 4th holiday as much as I did, and everyone else had a good weekend.