I scored this nice workbench, secondhand, apparently originally used at a local university in their science labs:
I only realized after the fact that it has about $1,000 worth of 80/20 extrusions and fasteners, including two really nice and super heavy duty pull-out drawers.
While this design could (and has been) working as a makeshift JumboMFT, I've wanted to make a few design improvements for some time. And, of course, the great thing about 80/20 is that it can be broken down and re-assembled with minimal effort. Here was my list of design improvements, in order of importance:
1) Provide a means to open up the extrusions along the top, for clamping access. These extrusions are 15 Series, so I believe Festool clamps will slide right in without issue. The dilemma here is that the clamping channels are enclosed, so a new fastening method would have to be employed.
2) Provide an open "top deck" where random trinkets could be stored. This deck would ideally run underneath the entire working surface, and yet provide enough headroom for the Festool clamps to slide in without issue.
3) Enclose the bottom portion of the cabinet, to keep out dust and debris.
4) Make it mobile. Even though the rubber feet shown above are incredibly grippy (called Mighty Mounts, and a whopping $50 apiece), I would appreciate the workbench being mobile. However, I still want stability, so I'm planning to use double-locking casters (locking both the wheel and swivel articulation). There will be some loss of stability, but the mobility trade-off is worth it to me.
5. Add miter gauge channels along the left-hand side of the surface. This workbench will do double-duty as an outfeed table for my Powermatic 65 tablesaw. Another project in the queue is to build a mobile base for that tablesaw, and at that time, I'll make sure to provide a means to level it such that it will be flat with this working surface.
I've been able to incorporate most of these improvements in the design below. I took careful measurements and re-created the workbench in a parametric modeling program. This is just a rendering, not yet reality, but I think it can be overhauled at a cost of about $150 in 80/20 components, casters, and plywood.
Let me know what you think!