Late last summer I rescued some boards of American Black Walnut (ABW) that had been leftover from a job, by a client of mine. They were discarding a fair bit of surplus flooring via a blooming great bonfire
All of it was tongued and grooved and of various lengths which I initially thought might be useful in making some jigs or workshop fittings, so it got set aside until I got a reminder that I had promised to make a couple of small tables for "her indoors".
A few years ago I made a chessboard from scraps of ABW and Maple and had wanted to make a table to support it but time and materials to hand had stalled the project...so I came up with this solution last week.
A table with a drawer for the chess board and two side tables that can be used as game piece placing and refreshments/side tables for the sofa.
I turned two Maple Pawns to act as drawer pulls.
The side tables also nest under the chess board apron
After sawing both the tongue and grooved sides off the boards I was left with 93mm so the aprons are 90mm and the legs are each cut from one board width: I.E. I cut the legs slightly over length then ripped that piece in half before resawing them with a 45° bevel with the TS55 in my CMS which gave a clean enough cut to glue them to form legs using masking tape to clamp them.
Legs were joined to the aprons with two 6x30 dominoes at each joint.
Drawer box was from some 10mm thick Wenge and jointed with 4mm Dominoes with a 6mm ABW bottom (ripped from the 16mm stock I was left with after planing the grooves and name stamp out of the flooring boards underside.
Chess pieces are from a UK company and seem to fit in well. The rail under the drawer is cut from the same piece as the drawer face so that the grain lines up pretty well. I used Liberon Finishing Oil on this project and expect the tables and chess board base to mellow over time to match the ABW of the older chess board.
I hate to see good timber wasted and think this is a good use of rescued materials.
Hope you like it and thanks for looking in.