The table top is a 4x8 oval. I'm leaving the dimensions the same as the plywood "prototype" that I made in the previous thread because we found those to perfect. It can seat 10 if need be, and everyone seated at the table can easily see everyone else. My wife loved it, and in the end that's all that counts!
I started out by mounting my oval cutting jig directly on the first sheet. Although this time I put it on my "beam" workbench (a design from FWW #202) to make sure it was stable and flat this time (you may recall I had issues with the oval jig when the plywood wasn't flat).
I realized that the problem I'd had with getting a smooth cut was due to a bit of play in the connections on the dovetail sliders of the jig. As long as you pull in the directions of the oval you are cutting, this play is reduced.
So I had come up with two alternatives to get better results this time:
1) Make 3 shallow cuts on the oval jig (approx 1/4" each time) to reduce resistance.
2) Make 1 shallow cut, then remove the rest of the cut with a jigsaw on the outer part of the cut made by the router bit, then follow with a pattern cutting bit which registers on the first shallow cut.
I wanted the edge of the top to be 1 1/2" thick, so I first had to cut out a smaller diameter oval from a second sheet, which I then laminated to the main sheet before cutting the final oval
For this step, I chose operation 1. This worked better than my original prototype, but I still had some variation in the path of the router. Fortunately it doesn't really matter as this is the inner profile of the underside of the table.
After laminating the two sheets, I setup and cut the outer oval profile. For this step, I chose method 2, and it worked well. Although I still have some areas of "divets", they are small.
I found that the plywood cut very well. I also cut the corners off the sheets with the TS55 just to reduce weight as I separated each corner while cutting (thus making it a one person operation this time as opposed to prototype you see in the video).
I also used the Domino to make index pins on two of the corners so that I didn't have to worry about alignment when doing the glue up
continued in next post…